Saturday, July 23, 2016
Sunday, July 17, 2016
Friday, July 15, 2016
I like to use flowers in my tangling,
but not strictly for the floral aspect.
Sometimes I want my work to be
"representative" of something specific.
Say a dragon.
Most of the time I don't want it to be representative
of anything specific, but a floral design
would work well with the other tangles.
And even when I design something that looks
I like it to be comprised of legit tangles.
The center of airways is called ripped screen.
Circling that is a band of tagh.
The outer arms are a more organized version of
an original zentangle pattern called mysteria.
There are plenty of ways to switch up airways.
And plenty of ways to use it.
Not to mention plenty of places to tangle it up.
This is a wall in my studio.
Still have a long way to go on it,
but airways is making a real difference with it
Thursday, July 14, 2016
Here is a completed ATC.
Again - made with alcohol ink on Yupo paper.
Kind of dark for me, but I thought I
liked it anyway.
Finally, I was like, No!
Too dark for me!
So I used a lighter color of ink and
dropped a few more spots of ink
right onto the top of the darker areas.
It lightened up the colors,
but I started getting mud in that top section.
So I pulled out the Copic blending solution.
(I just realized I say so and then and next
and again a lot.)
I used the solution to squirt a wormy line
across the ATC.
I really expected I'd be throwing this one
into the trash can, then I wondered what
would happen if I blotted up those gobs of color.
Tuesday, July 12, 2016
Here is the ATC we worked on yesterday.
I mentioned that I was going to do a bit
more work on it. Here is what I did:
I explained this technique in a post a couple days ago.
Basically I have Copic Blending Solution in a
fine-gauged tip bottle that I purchased at
I felt the yellow got a little spread out and
disconnected on the ATC.
I dropped one little spot of blending solution on the yellow,
it spread onto the turquoise and
I just let it go and watched the magic.
Eventually the solution spread onto both the turquoise and pink. You can see where it changed the top turquoise to a green color, but not so on the lower turquoise.
Alcohol inks have a life of their own.
They do what they want.
And I love how it turned out.
Next I will tangle the ATC with a Copic multiliner.
Pitt artist pens also work well.
Monday, July 11, 2016
Several people (more than two)
have asked my how to use alcohol ink.
So, let us start with a simple ATC.
Ranger and Tim Holtz distribute alcohol inks,
you can get them at Michael's, Hobby Lobby,
or Amazon.com haha! of course you can.
Amazon sells everything.
Except maybe goats.
Alcohol ink works best on Yupo paper.
This was a little sample pad of ATC sized
yupo paper that came in my Art Snack box this month.
It comes in all sizes - seriously - and can be found
on Amazon, dickblick.com, and Michael's.
When you use alcohol ink, work on a protected surface.
Craft sheets are perfect.
Here I worked on a large, thick sheet
of cardboard that I had left over.
Alcohol inks also stain your fingers,
so if you aren't a lover of brightly colored
fingers, I'd recommend some type of glove.
I can't give you a recommendation
because I use the messy, pretty fingers
Makes me feel accomplished.
(Emoticon smiley face.)
Sorry I talked through that last photo.
Take your first color and squirt a couple
drops in random locations.
Some people prefer working in odd numbers,
but since these ATCs are small,
I didn't worry about that.
As you can see, I began with pink,
then switched to a couple drops of yellow.
Then be patient and wait.
The colors will spread and push each other
where the edges touch.
Sometimes you get cool colors where this happens,
sometimes just a darker edge with its own
(Did you notice how that lower pink circle's
edges closed around and left that white hole?)
Sunday, July 10, 2016
Unfortunately, I did not get a photo of the before on this project,
but . . . think hot mess.
Here are two examples. Hahaha!
I remembered a video where someone used
copic blending solution to remove color.
Saturday, July 9, 2016
Monday, July 4, 2016
There is little playtime for me as we continue
to work on other projects.
I did manage to fit in a few minutes to try out
Eni Oken's new tangle quandu and it was fun!
I finished it off with some normal zingers.
Thursday, June 30, 2016
Art journaling has been pushed to the very back of the plate
as we work on books.
I miss it.
So this week I decided to check out one of the
weekly art journal groups I am in
and do a prompt.
I started with this watercolored background in
my art journal. I made it with a simple kids'
watercolor pan set from the school row
I used Tim Holtz's Distress Stains and a
couple stencils to start my framework.
The stains were a little more soupy than I
recalled and didn't play great with the
stencil, but that's alright.
It adds to the rustic feel.
When I started outlining for definition,
I was greatly disappointed to find that my
microns and other fine liners would not
work over the distress stains.
So much so that I ruined three pens before I decided
to throw in the towel and resort to gel pens.
What you see here is the result of about
5-6 different types of gel pens and markers.
Not real happy that it was so hard to draw on top
of these stains.